March, 1986 to Present: The WriteTeam, San Jose, CA (formerly Garland, TX)
Technical writer, author, editor, Internet Web designer and producer, and consultant on software testing.
- Designed, wrote, and created Amarillo Bay, an online linterary magazine.
- Wrote WinHelp and Web help for Kana Communications
- Maintained ConsenSys site created earlier and added database functions.
- Wrote the Web section of Internet Secrets, 2nd Edition for IDG Books Worldwide, to be released late summer of 1998.
- Wrote and produced the first draft of the help system for TIFNY, a program that lets you efficiently search through images on USENET.
- Designed and created pages to highlight a new product, Flash, for Macromedia.
- Wrote HTML 3.2 One Step at a Time, then on the update HTML 4.0 One Step at a Time for IDG Books Worldwide.
- Designed and produced the Web site for HeadCoach97.
- Wrote the first version of the Help system for Antares EdgeworX, now Vectrix Corporation.
- Designed and produced a multimedia CD-ROM to launch the GTE Authorized Representative Program. The CD-ROM program lead to the Web site, which I also designed and produced, including databases using Cold Fusion.
- Designed and produced the Web site for Gravity, Inc.
- Designed and produced the Web site for Telpar, Inc.
- Produced the Web site for Behavioral Technology including a section that was password protected using perl.
- Designed and produced the Web site for Quilt-Pro Systems, Inc.
- Designed, produced, and continue to maintain the Web site for The Robert E. Nolan Company.
- Designed and produced the Web site for BA Advertising.
- Redesigned existing Web site for TeKnowlogy Education Centers.
- Wrote the documentation, including a Help system and printed manual, for SeQuel, a high-end program from Gravity, Inc., to help lawyers manage the documents necessary to prepare for trial
- Wrote the Help system for iXpress, a product to make development and maintenance of Web sites a snap, for InfoSpinner
- Wrote the Web site for Softpak, a one-stop fulfillment company for software and hardware production needs
- Wrote the Web site for Cyrix, a producer of high-end processors
- Wrote the Help system for InterGO, a program from InterGO Communications, Inc. that provides easy, safe access to the Internet
- Wrote the award-winning Internet home pages for TeacherSoft, Inc. (which changed its name to InterGO Communications, Inc.)
- Visited, described, and cataloged over 2,700 Internet sites to create The Research Resource for InterGO Communications, Inc., to use with InterGO (note that The Research Resource is only available if you have the full version of InterGO)
- Designed the testing system for Intelligraphics, a software services company that develops high performance device drivers
- Wrote the documentation, including a Help system and printed manual, for Gravity Verdict, a program from Gravity, Inc., to help lawyers manage the documents necessary to prepare for trial
- Wrote a training manual on using a computer-based photograph retouching program
- Developed tools to aid in localizing products into international languages
- Localized, from British English to American English, a manual for a program that includes a word processor, a database administrator, an electronic mail package, and other features
- Wrote box copy, sales brochures, and direct-mail pieces
- Wrote, edited, and produced software manuals
- Wrote computer programs, and wrote and edited manuals for them
- Co-authored The Illustrated Microsoft Windows Book, Wordware Publishing, 1987, and updates for each new version of Windows
- Managed the business
October, 1987 to January, 1992: Micrografx, Inc., Richardson, Texas
Director of Software Quality Assurance.
- Started as the only tester and documentation editor and developed the department as Micrografx grew from 40 employees to over 300 employees
- Managed eleven program managers and testers, guaranteeing the release of software products with a minimum of problems
- Reviewed, edited, and approved all documentation
Manager of writing department for the Consumer Products Division.
- Supervised up to 30 writers, editors, typesetters, and production artists
- Prepared financial forecasts, schedules, and reports
- Wrote and edited hundreds of manuals, from tiny calculator inserts to large programming manuals
- Developed a word processing production system that let the writers compose computer and calculator manuals quickly and easily, permitting typesetting without rekeying or code insertion
- Introduced a team approach, allowing several writers to pool their knowledge and work effectively on large projects
April, 1979 to April, 1980: R.G. Moore Company, Lubbock, Texas
Writing consultant for Texas Instruments.
September, 1978 to April, 1979: Neighborhood Computer Store, Lubbock, Texas
Manager and chief programmer.
September, 1972 to August, 1978: Standard Oil of California (Chevron), San Francisco, California
- Controlled the tax reporting programs for the taxing entities in the eleven western states
August, 1969 to July, 1972: Carlisle Independent School District, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Taught business mathematics, algebra, and using computers to junior and senior high school students
Professional Experience Publications Education
Memberships and Awards Hobbies and Other Interests
Personal Data References Page Top